MYELODYSPLASTIC SYNDROME : MDS
Overview - What is MDS?
What causes MDS?
What are the symptoms and signs of MDS?
- Difficulty in Breathing.
- Severe tiredness/ fatigue.
- Presenting a pale skin.
Tests to Diagnose MDS
- Health history including a complete physical examination
- Complete Blood Count
- Blood Smear test
- Bone Marrow aspiration and biopsy
- Cytogenetic and molecular analysis
How is Myelodysplastic Syndrome treated?
- Early sate can be managed with growth factors
- Drug therapy such as hypomethlating agents and lenalidomide
- Transfusion support until medicines start to show the response.
- Hematopoietic Stem cell transplant in advanced.or high risk cases.
To understand more about MDS and treatments available, feel free to approach our experts at Haematology and BMT Institute.
MEET OUR DOCTOR
With a renowned experience of 15 years, Dr. SK Gupta’s time in the field is the backbone of the Institute. Having started out as a medical student he eventually sprouted to performing over 250 bone marrow transplants to those suffering from blood disorders.
But his expertise does not end here.
He is specialised in various other arrays including Leukemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Aplastic Anemia, Thalassemia and Sickle cell diseases, Hemophagocytic syndromes and so on.
An ongoing struggle globally is treating patients on time and Dr. SK Gupta’s morale hits exactly that very spot! He has dealt with cases where adults have been affected by the same by following his principle of giving timely treatment.