Dr. S.K. Gupta is one of the top Lymph Nodes Specialist Doctor in Hyderabad. He is a renowned Hematologist in India with extensive experience of over 15 years in the field of Hematology.
Swollen lymph nodes usually occur as a result of exposure to bacteria or viruses. When swollen lymph nodes are caused by an infection, this is known as lymphadenitis. Rarely, swollen lymph nodes are caused by cancer.
When your lymph nodes first swell, you might notice:
- Swollen lymph nodes that maybe the size of a pea or kidney bean, or even larger
Tender and painful lymph nodes
- Depending on the cause of your swollen lymph nodes, other signs, and symptoms.
- General swelling of lymph nodes throughout your body — which may indicate an infection, such as HIV or mononucleosis, or an immune disorder, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis
- Swollen limb, possibly indicating lymph system blockage caused by swelling in a lymph node too far under your skin to feel
- Hardened, fixed, rapidly growing nodes, indicating a possible tumor Fever Runny nose, sore throat, fever and other indications of an upper respiratory infection Night sweats
The most common cause of swollen lymph nodes is an Infection, particularly a viral infection, such as the common cold. However, there are other types of infections, including Parasitic and Bacterial, and other possible causes of swollen lymph nodes.
- Strep throat
- Ear infections
- Infected (abscessed) tooth
- Skin or wound infections, such as cellulitis or erysipelas
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) — the virus that causes AIDS